Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Disneyland Trip

For Mother's Day, Jesse surprised me with a fully planned trip to Disneyland the following weekend. It was exactly what I had been wanting and we had the BEST time. My wonderful Brother and Sister in law let us stay at their house for the weekend, so we had the added bonus of spending time with family during the vacay. Thanks Spencer and Kim! We love you guys!
(I love the above picture. Ezra totally crashed part way through California Adventure. Doesn't it look like Henry's thinking, "Wet Willy Time!")
We only went the park for one day, but we hit it hard. We arrived around ten in the morning and didn't leave until after 11:30 pm. That's right, baby; We kept our 8 month old and our 2 year at Disneyland for over twelve hours. And they enjoyed it! Ezra especially enjoyed the little bit of Coke we gave him after his evening nap. Ezra + 1st dose of caffeine = enough energy to make it through Disneyland.
Currently, Ezra's favorite movie is Dumbo. "Really?" you ask. "Dumbo!?!" Let me break it down for you: Trains, elephants and a mommy. Once I realized it had those three elements, I got it. Sort of. Anyways, Ezra couldn't wait to ride Casey Jr. at Disneyland. We'd been talking about it for days beforehand. Unfortunately, we had to wait in line for about twenty minutes before it was our turn. That meant twenty minutes of Ezra watching other people get on the train while he had to patiently stand in line. Actually, "patiently" is the completely wrong word. More like "weep and wail and cry" in line until it was his turn to climb aboard. Truth be told, it was pretty cute. Once we were on the ride all tears were forgotten and we've been talking about how we "rode in the orange cage" ever since.


Henry, as usual, was perfect. Enjoyed the rides, took a few naps and went crazy over beef jerky. Just for the record, beef jerky gets really nasty after it's sucked on.


Although we had to wait in line for most of the rides, there was only one other meltdown. Can you guess? That's right. Our major meltdown occured in line for . . .drumroll please. . . DUMBO! The wait was only about twenty or thirty minutes, but it was twenty or thirty minutes of real tears. People around me were smiling and laughing. Everytime that Dumbo would take off without him, Ezra would reach his arms out towards the flying Dumbos and cry "I NEED Dumbo! I NEED Dumbo!" Once again, it was pretty funny.
Besides those two rides, Ezra was totally patient and excited. He had such a good time. His absolute favorite ride was Matterhorn. He got to go on it twice and he LOVED it. Crazy kid!


One of my favorite parts of the day was getting to watch the firework show. I had never seen a Disneyland one before, and it was really spectacular. I would totally recommend staying for one.

After a fun filled day, we finally headed back to our car, which we had purposefully parked at a nearby mall instead of at the park. We pushed our two half-sleeping kids up a ginormously long and weaving wheelchair ramp only to find the entrance to the mall blocked off by rope and a line of people on the other side who were waiting to get into a hip nightclub. I was prepared to move the rope, but fortunately, the "bouncer" (is the the right word?) came to our rescue. As we crossed the line into the "club line territory" a man pointed and shouted with dismay, "they're getting in!" Keep in mind that not only do we have two babies in a double stoller, but we've been at Disneyland for over twelve hours. I'm sure I look totally hot in my jean shorts with tennis shoes and barely any makeup left on my face. The absurdity of it struck as funny and before I could stop myself I looked at the man and busted out laughing. Not the nicest thing to do, but what's done is done.
Thankfully, we made it back to Spencer and Kim's house without falling asleep. We spent the rest of the weekend have a great time swimming and celebrating birthdays. Overall, a super successful family vacation!








1 comment:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

We are so fighting that you didn't tell me you were here:)

although I guess I don't tell you everytime I drive through Vegas.

Call me soon!