Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The End of the Beginning

We are officially done with procedures/surgeries for quite some time! Last week Ezra had an appointment with our plastic surgeon up in Utah. My wonderful mom was kind enough to travel to Utah with Ezra and me. Ezra was such a good kid the whole trip. He always loves to stay in a hotel (even though he won't sleep well in one).

Luckily Ezra doesn't associate the hotel or even the hospital with any of his surgeries. Instead he has focused all of his negative feelings about all of the experiences upon his plastic surgeon. For months, every time Ezra sees Dr. Schmelzer, he becomes completely petrified and terrified. This encounter with his Dr was no different. As soon as Dr. Schmelzer walked into the room, Ezra sat quietly (albeit nervously) on my lap. He even obliged the doctor and opened up his mouth. It is actually quite a nice reaction - much better than screaming or running away.

As usual, Ezra was thrilled when he escaped without anything happening to him. Dr. Schmelzer told us that everything looked great and that we wouldn't even have a check up for six months!

After that, we had lunch at The Spaghetti Factory and left the hugest mess I had ever seen (and we also left quite a nice tip). Then we walked over to Pottery Barn Kids and Ezra practically begged me to put him in one of the cribs they had set up. It was like he was telling me, "I'll be so happy in there, I just know it!"

But, now we are home and I am so excited that this whole process is done for years - probably until Ezra is six or seven!
This is a picture of Ezra at the hotel. He was already in his pack and play for the night, but he saw me pull out apples and peanut butter sandwiches. He just HAD to have some! It is always tricky trying to feed him in a hotel. Next time I need to bring some sort of seat along with us!

1 comment:

Melissa Brown said...

I am anxiously been waiting a new post and I am so happy to see two! I can't believe how awesome Ezra has done during all this. I bet he is so happy he can eat everything again. Carter also placed all his negative thoughts onto his surgeon and not at the hospital or anythins else really. He would scream if he got within 2 feet of him. Six or seven years is such along time!!! And even to not have a check up for 6 months is awesome!!! I am so hapy to hear how well he is!